The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary is also known as the Shrine of Blessed Elizabeth Seton, the first American-born Catholic saint. Located at 7 State Street, the 1783 Federal-style building is all that remains of a block of houses that once adorned the street and held a mission to assist young Irish immigrants. The complex was in fair condition considering its age and alterations, yet some of the key character-defining features—windows, roof and portico that are also crucial to keeping the building watertight—were in poor condition.
Easton Architects completed an Existing Conditions Assessment and assisted the Mission with fundraising efforts to secure grants from the New York Landmarks Conservancy and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Each building component was thoroughly surveyed and recommendations formulated for the walls, roof, portico, windows, and doors. Accompanying historic research helped to establish original materials and the construction chronology of the complex.
The findings and recommendations of the Existing Conditions Assessment informed a multi-phased restoration. We produced Construction Documents for the exterior restoration and adapted the lower level into a community assembly hall and museum space. Exterior work included masonry restoration of the red brick facades, chimneys, and parapets; restoration and cleaning of the limestone and cast stone copings and balustrade units; metal restoration; wood window and door restoration; and replacement of waterproofing, flashing and drainage components. The Mission received a Historic Preservation grant from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund for the work.
The exterior restoration project won the New York Landmarks Conservancy Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award in 2011. The Church is a local New York City landmark and is listed on the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places.