RESTORATION AND RENOVATION OF THE UPPER ART GALLERY
The Salmagundi Club of New York, founded as an instructional sketch class in 1871, is the only art club of its kind in the country dedicated to the living artist. The SCNY purchased a mid-nineteenth century double wide brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue in 1917. Soon after purchase they endeavored to construct a two-story rear addition to house their upper and lower galleries. Easton Architects has prepared the design for the renovation of the gallery interiors including new finishes, a new central laylight, restoration of historic features of the original gallery annex room, introducing new mechanical and electrical systems and a state-of-the-art lighting system to enhance the gallery for use for events, classes and teaching demonstrations and as their premier gallery for exhibiting and celebrating members works as well as exhibits by some of the most renowned artists and art organizations from across the country.